On any given day after the kids are sent off to school I would follow a normal routine of cleaning the house, organizing my files, paying some bills and watching a little tv while folding some laundry. On this particular day however our satellite went out for no apparent reason. A little annoyed but not particularly devastated I went about my day until the phone rang. One of our Stake Presidency members was on the line asking if Arnold were home. I immediately thought....hmmmm I wonder if its for a new calling in our Ward? Odd that the Bishop didn't call. And then after relaying that Arnold was at work that day President Emertson proceeded to ask if I had watched any tv that morning. Another odd question and then I remembered how the satelitte had gone out and I had turned it off hours ago. He then asked me to call Arnold and to make sure that he was okay. Pres. Emertson had gotten a call from someone who worked across from the Pascagoula refinery telling him that they were all being evacuated because of a fire in one of the plants. My heart dropped and the tears began to flow. I thanked Pres. Emertson and hung up the phone. I knew I couldn't call. I knew there would be 1000 other wives probably phoning in for the same reason. So I waited and waited some more. Until finally a call came from Arnold's supervisor's wife, Christine. She said that her husband, Johnny, had called her and talked for only a few seconds. Basically his message to her was....There's been a fire...I'm okay....call Lisa and tell her Arnold is okay too. I could finally breath! Three hours later Arnold came home and the hug I got from him as he walked through the door was a little tighter, his smile a little brighter, his "I love you" a little sweeter and our dinner together that night as a family a little more divine.
Friday, November 23, 2007
Small miracles...
On any given day after the kids are sent off to school I would follow a normal routine of cleaning the house, organizing my files, paying some bills and watching a little tv while folding some laundry. On this particular day however our satellite went out for no apparent reason. A little annoyed but not particularly devastated I went about my day until the phone rang. One of our Stake Presidency members was on the line asking if Arnold were home. I immediately thought....hmmmm I wonder if its for a new calling in our Ward? Odd that the Bishop didn't call. And then after relaying that Arnold was at work that day President Emertson proceeded to ask if I had watched any tv that morning. Another odd question and then I remembered how the satelitte had gone out and I had turned it off hours ago. He then asked me to call Arnold and to make sure that he was okay. Pres. Emertson had gotten a call from someone who worked across from the Pascagoula refinery telling him that they were all being evacuated because of a fire in one of the plants. My heart dropped and the tears began to flow. I thanked Pres. Emertson and hung up the phone. I knew I couldn't call. I knew there would be 1000 other wives probably phoning in for the same reason. So I waited and waited some more. Until finally a call came from Arnold's supervisor's wife, Christine. She said that her husband, Johnny, had called her and talked for only a few seconds. Basically his message to her was....There's been a fire...I'm okay....call Lisa and tell her Arnold is okay too. I could finally breath! Three hours later Arnold came home and the hug I got from him as he walked through the door was a little tighter, his smile a little brighter, his "I love you" a little sweeter and our dinner together that night as a family a little more divine.
No comments:
Post a Comment