Saturday, May 10, 2008

A very sick puppy

Arnold came home sick from work one day complaining of fatigue and congestion. We put him to bed and hoped he would get some rest. Ten days later we were in the doctor's office getting a diagnosis. If you can believe it...we've lived here over three years and this is the first time we needed a Family doctor for Arnold. We called several offices and none would see us sooner than two weeks for "NEW" patients. They recommended we go to the ER but Arnold refused. Luckily I play Bunco monthly with a group of ladies in my neighborhood. One of them, Thamory, has a husband who is a doctor here in Mobile. A couple of phone calls later and we had an appointment that afternoon! Once we got to the office the doctor gave us the bad news. Arnold was not well at all. The doctor said he had two middle ear infections. A swollen throat. Fluid in his lungs. Bronchitis. And overall weakness and fatigue. He was told to take the next few shifts of work off and to stay on medication and bed rest for the next several days. In all the time Arnold has worked for Chevron (16 years this year) he has never called in late or sick. Now that's some record! I hated to break it, but doctor's orders. The guys at work couldn't believe it! I guess neither could we. A few days later Arnold still wasn't feeling up to par so we booked another appointment and went in a second time to see how he was doing. After a shot and another dose of reality the doctor proclaimed that Arnold indeed had been a "very sick puppy" and that we were lucky to get him in to see the doctor when we did. After that bit of information sunk in I realized all the time I spend doing things on my own and leading somewhat of a very independent life I don't think I would want to live it without him. Thanks goodness for neighbors married to doctors, 24 hour pharmacies, and cures for very sick puppies.

No comments: