Tuesday, October 14, 2008

When dear friends move away...

One of the hardest things I remember having to deal with as a child in elementary school was the day my friend Charmaine moved away. She and I were inseparable and I can still to this day remember the way I felt when we were together. I could tell Charmaine anything and we liked all the same things! She brought out the best in me and I hope that time has been a friend to her and that she is doing well. After moving away we eventually lost touch and I couldn't even tell you where or what she would be doing now some 30 years later.

So comes a repeat of history as Kenny and Jessica say good bye to a dear friend, J.T.. As a parent who's been there and done that, I've vowed to make this story end differently! J.T. has been a fixture in our home for over a year now. He's shared holidays with us, class time with Jessica, Snake time with Kenny, and has melted our hearts. J.T. seemed to fit right into our family. Coming with us to church functions, giving Kenny that younger brother he never had, and helping Jessica to see that being "Twins" would've been okay with her as long as her "Twin" was J.T..

Friday was J.T.'s last day at Hutchens elementary school as he has moved across the bay and will start at a new school this week. Luckily, we were able to spend the weekend with him celebrating his birthday not once, but TWICE! The kids couldn't have been happier! We wish J.T. all the best of luck in his new home and school! And we look forward to seeing him again, and Again, and AGAIN...all the while watching him grow and seeing how time has been a good friend to him too!

1 comment:

Lisa said...

Mary Jo! It was so great to hear from you! I think about the friends we left behind in Woods Cross all the time! Isn't the Blogging thing wonderful! I loved looking at yours! Our kids are growing up so fast!!!! I wish we weren't so far away and could visit more often! I too have very fond memories of serving with you in YW! We had an awesome time didn't we? I'm still plugging away at YW here in the South... When will it ever be my turn to serve in Primary??? Hope all is well with you! Please keep in touch! I loved hearing from you!