What makes a ninteen year old leave his friends and family for two years to serve a mission for the church? What makes him come to a place so different than anything he's ever experienced before? A place that can sometimes be cruel and unweilding? A place that never quite feels like home, but is his home for a period of time? To give up dating, football, scholarships, and careers? Movies, music, books and dancing? I'd say it was character, conviction, and a hope of things to come. A simple but profound promise made to them. A promise that will be kept. A promise that will be fulfilled. That is what I think makes them more than unique... It makes them simply astonishing.
Friday, February 02, 2007
What makes them unique...
What makes a ninteen year old leave his friends and family for two years to serve a mission for the church? What makes him come to a place so different than anything he's ever experienced before? A place that can sometimes be cruel and unweilding? A place that never quite feels like home, but is his home for a period of time? To give up dating, football, scholarships, and careers? Movies, music, books and dancing? I'd say it was character, conviction, and a hope of things to come. A simple but profound promise made to them. A promise that will be kept. A promise that will be fulfilled. That is what I think makes them more than unique... It makes them simply astonishing.
No comments:
Post a Comment