Well tomorrow is the big day in Spanish class and I am very excited to report that instead of showing an R rated film on spanish culture, Lisa's teacher will be hosting a food tasting celebration and showing clips from a documentary filmed by PBS about the lives of 5 well known Hispanic artists.
Right now I am waiting for my chocolate Tres Leches cake to come out of the oven so Lisa can have something to share with her class. After sending in my letter to Lisa's teacher I received a note back from both her and the Principal at Lisa's High School.
I was relieved to hear of their support of our letter. To know that there is a policy in our county against showing such films in school. Honestly, I thought we were raging a war that was going to be an uphill battle. But the response we received from Lisa's teacher and her principal was overwhelmingly in favor of our letter and although we didn't expect to be thanked for our efforts, we were...by both of them.
And one day I think Lisa will too. Maybe not today or even tomorrow as she shares her cake with the rest of the class. But sometime later on in life when she has children of her own and they come to her with a tiny white piece of paper asking for her permission to watch a video in class.
No parent ever wants to be put in a situation that ultimately makes life harder for their child. Odd that in this case we were even put in the situation. But a win is a win. No matter how ugly it was or how hard it was to fight the battle.
No comments:
Post a Comment