Fifth grade Student Council elections were held at Kenny's school a few weeks ago. I was somewhat surprised when Kenny came home with an application and stated matter of factly that he would be running for Treasurer! I was excited about his interest in running and we soon began our work on the posters, flyers, campaign slogans, etc.! What a fun week we had! One of the parts of the election meant that Kenny would have to get up in front of the entire student body and give a speech about why they should vote for him. I really didn't think he had it in him, but on that day he sat nervously watching everyone else get up and give their speech and finally when they got to his name (the list was alphabetical), he slowly stood up, cleared his throat, leaned into the microphone, and gave the best speech he could possibly give!
Applause broke out as his friends chanted "Kenny! Kenny!" from the back of the gym! The Student Council advisor reminded everyone over the microphone that all applause would be given at the end of EVERYONE's speech and eventually the cheers died down. But not from me...as I silently watched Kenny walk back to his seat hoping he would glance over at me just for a second and when he did, I gave him a quick "thumbs up" and the biggest smile I could muster! I was so extremely proud of him! Those that know Kenny well know that he does not like public speaking and is quite shy in large groups. I know it took a lot for Kenny to get up and do what he did that day. But what an amazing experience for him and for a mother who knew that the odds of him winning the election were slim, what a great big step in the right direction for Kenny to overcome one of his biggest fears!
Below is the speech Kenny wrote for the Student Council Election assembly. Oh and by the way....a girl won the Treasure seat. In fact a girl won every single seat on the Council for the first time ever in the history of the school! The fifth grade boys have claimed the election must have been rigged. I just think it may be a sign of the times! Whatever the reason, it was well worth the effort and gave Kenny his very first experience in the political ring! Way to go Kenny!
Fifth Grade Treasurer Speech
by Kenny Schloemer
Hi, my name is Kenny Schloemer.
I’m running for Student Council treasurer.
You should vote for me because:
1) I am good at math.
2) I like to count money.
3) I am very organized.
And 4) I’ve never robbed a bank.
So remember when its time to vote:
Got a penny?
You can trust Kenny!
Vote me for Student Council Treasurer!
3 comments:
Im so proud of Kenny!!!! you are such a good mom:-)
That was such an awesome speech!! Kenny, I would have voted for you! Good job getting up there.
That is such a GREAT speech Kenny! I would have voted for you too! You are also very brave - way to go=)
Post a Comment