Saturday, November 01, 2008

Hula skirts, sunscreen, and guilotines...

Okay...so as a parent I really started to like the whole Halloween thing when I could dress up our little babies in cute adoring costumes and show them off around the neighborhood which was full of other amazingly cutes babies and who lived in the same vincinity. Now that those 'babies' are all grown up I've become very aware that Halloween means something totally different to them and I'm not sure how much I care for their way of thinking!

Kenny and Jessica dressed up as a Hawaiian sunburned tourist and a "modest" Hawaiian Hula dancer this year. Pretty mild when you think about all the other options there were for them to choose from! All was going quite well Halloween night until we stumbled upon a house in the neighborhood where we dropped Lisa off and found an entire front yard of coffins, caskets, talking witches, a headless man at a guilotine, and of course what halloween yard would be complete without an electric chair. Luck would have it...my kids were entranced! They wanted pictures standing next to everything! It was all I could do not to run away screaming while covering my ears and trying to get that eery Halloween music out of my head.

Well, I guess its time for me to face the music. Kids grown up. Fanatasies fade away. And life becomes what it is to them...to me...and to the rest of the parents coping with their children growing up faster than we sometimes would like them too! Happy Halloween! Whether you were a tourist, a hula dancer, or a man stuck in a guilotine.

No comments: