Wednesday, February 22, 2006
Does one person's voice really matter?
Last night I attended the hearing for the proposed boundary changes at our local elementary school. I was disappointed at the number of parents who were there (or not there) to speak, listen, and become informed on the matter. Many of those parents that I have heard over the last few days express dissatisfaction about the matter were non-existent at the hearing. Those that did come and had something to say asked questions which I thought were trivial compared to the real issues at hand. "What color uniforms does the new elementary school require?" "What kind of money has the PTA at the new school raised this year?" "Why does the new school start 40 minutes earlier than the current school?" Do they not realize what issues are at stake here? I was relieved when the current PTA President stood and offered a three phase plan to help alleviate the growth problems at our school but became quickly dismayed when her emotions took over and all I heard was more about "how much money we have spent as parents at this school" vs. "how much money the PTA has raised at the other school". How "we built our house in this area because we were promised that Hutchens is where our children would go to school" blah blah blah. It was midway through the meeting that I finally stood and offered the information I had prepared over the past few days. All it took was a couple of clicks on the computer. I spent time perusing Test scores, School websites, and phoning the people at the school board for fire codes, attendance requirements, growth projections, etc. All of which have everything to do with the facts on hand and the change to the boundaries for our school. I still don't understand why PTA money has anything to do with changing the board member's minds about the move. Can the parents really be upset over the money that went towards their school? What happened to doing something because of the impact it will have on not only your children, but the children of the future? So what if the new school's PTA isn't up to par? I say: Jump in, get involved, make it the PTA you would want it to be! Wouldn't that be the logical thing to do? Regardless of what went on around me last night, I was able to speak my peace, lay down the issues, propose some immediate solutions and managed to even get a quick spot on the 10:00 o'clock news. Does one person's voice really matter? I say YES. As long as that voice is informed, educated, and willing to accept the responsibilities that come with having a stance on something that may or may not be the popular choice at the time.
No comments:
Post a Comment