Sunday, February 19, 2006

Mardi Gras Rocks...Beads anyone?!


Okay so I wasn't quite sure what we would think about Mardi Gras this very first year here in Mobile, but it turns out that there are some very"family friendly" parades to choose from and many are held during the early afternoons instead of late at night. We also found out that Mobile, Alabama is actually know as the birthplace of Mardi Gras and they have celebrated with parades and 'throws' for years!!!! Who would've known?

Most parades start the second week of February and run through Fat Tuesday which is Feb. 28th. We decided to take in a parade today. One that was carefully chosen for us by a close friend who has done the parades every year with her husband and knows exactly which ones to go to and which ones to stay away from.

It was rainy and wet and around 40 degrees. The kids were freezing and we were layered up like it was the middle of winter in Utah but as soon as we heard the creole music playing and saw the huge floats coming down the road the kids warmed right up. I'll have to say I got all caught up in the moment and danced right along side all the other revelers as we were being pelted with beads and other fun throws. Horses, drumlines, clowns, and> mystical beasts were a sight to see! I have never seen such beautiful floats and costumes! Again...who would've known?!

For our very first parade I think we did pretty good. Kenny insists that this is our new family tradition and that we will celebrate Mardi Grasevery year from now on. I still can't get over the stash of gifts the kidswalked away with! Stuffed animals, t-shirts, masks, footballs, and more. They were even throwing ice cream sandwiches! Kenny alone counted 162 strands of beads. Lisa caught one that was her favorite "BYU" blue color and was as long as Jessica was tall. Jessica seemed to be a favorite with the"Krewes" that were throwing and she walked away with a dozen or so stuffed animals ranging from bears, to tigers, to TY beanie babies! I guess it pays to be> cute!

I managed to click a couple of pictures while we were there and thought we would share some of them with you. Hope you are all well and enjoying the Mardi Gras season wherever you are!

No comments: